General Information - Population of India
Population Analysis|Population Growth Rate |India and neighbouring countries|Immigration of population in India|Indian states population|Indian cities population|India's population by age & sex|India's population by religion|Rural-Urban Migration of population|Population check policies|Glossary
Population Growth Rate
Growth rate expected to exceed China's by 2010
|Crude Birth Rate
27.00 per 1,000 annually
|Crude Death Rate
9.00 per 1,000 annually
72 per 1,000
|Rate of natural
** average number of children born to a woman during her lifetime.
- Only nine states or union territories in the country have a TFR less
than or equal to the desired 2.1: Eleven have a total fertility rate of
more than 2.1 but less than 3.0. At least 12 have a total fertility rate
of 3.0 or over.
- Eighteen per cent of births are to teenage women aged between 15 and
- Forty-nine per cent of women give birth for the first time by age 20.
- The average age at first marriage (or
informal union) is 20.
- Forty-three per cent of married women are using modern methods of contraception.
Decadal growth rate (adjusted) by religious communities
Source: Census of India 2001